Friday, January 18, 2008

Making the effort to "Go Green"

I hate creating waste. I hate looking at all of the things that I throw away. I hate living in a house with things that I never use. If you have ever been to my house in Jackson, MS, you will realize that I don't keep things that I don't use. The house looks a little sparce, but it is much easier than having a ton of stuff that you don't want to have to move, take care of, and clean around. None of my closets are over flowing. I have nothing in the attic. I have very few things in my garage. I recycle as much as I can. I compost. I put on one, maybe two kitchen size bags of trash each MONTH. Still, I feel like I should be doing more.

I signed up for "We can live green." It gives you one thing per day that you can do to live green. The first tip is to stop all the junk mail from coming to your house. How do you do this? Go to this website STOP JUNK MAIL. Opt out of that junk mail, just like you opt out of telemarketing calls.

I also joined freecycle.org. It is a site where you can give away stuff or ask for things that you want among people who live in your town. I have a ton of bamboo in my yard that I constantly cut down. I hate that it goes to a landfill, when it is nice thick bamboo. I listed it, and someone came and picked it up. I also list stuff to be given away of craigslist.org. This site is also divided by city. It sure does beat throwing stuff in a landfill. Other good options is donating to a local charity like the Salvation Army or Home's of Grace. I keep a box in the closet with things that I need to put in the Salvation Army drop box. When I am going in the direction of the drop box, I put my items in the car and drop them off on the way.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rant'n Bob said...

If you didn't look and think so much like me I would have to slap your mother. I cannot believe any child of mine is not a pack-rat. You only have to look at my two car garage that has never seen a car; my 16X40 stable that is decked in and so full I can barely turn around in it let alone a horse. LOL This is all valuable stuff that I may be able to use someday. As soon as I toss something I guarantee I will need it within a week, and yes I do know about excuses and noses LOL.

By the way I realize you are not an english major but even spell check will not catch Through and Threw. Good info here though
Dad

Saturday, January 19, 2008 at 10:45:00 AM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home